Currently I am reading a book called Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen.
A coworker suggested that I read this book because he knew I had a "love"running. If you didn't know one of my life goals/dreams is to run a marathon. I have had this goal for 5 years but still to this day I can only get myself to run ATLEAST 4 miles. I get on this kick where I am going out for a run every day but once I miss a day...i miss one other...then another..till I haven't been going for 2 months (or longer). Once I start up again I am back to square one killing myself to get one mile done.
When I 1st started to take up running I did it because I wanted to loose weight but soon learned this was a way for me to collect my thoughts of a stressful day, to breath in fresh air and enjoy the beauty around me. It was more than loosing it weight, it was something that made me happier and something I realized I loved doing.
While listening to this book (yes I listen to it....its legit) I keep on reflecting on my dream. It shouldn't take a normal person 5 years or even longer to train for a marathon. Yes I have ran 2 5K's (which I am proud about), but shouldn't I be farther in this dream of mine? What is holding me back?
Born to Run tells a story of an amazing tribe in Mexico. They run for days on end without stopping and whats crazy is they don't get hurt, they don't tire out, and they run in sandals. They run through horrible terrine and at night with out any light. Long story short, an outsider found out about this tribe and wanted to form a team who would run one of the most legit races, Leadville Trail. A 100 mile ultramarathon in Colorado. Death. (Read about it). Not only did they finish this race and won...they broke records.
So back to my question, Whats holding me back? Confidence that I can actually run a marathon. I hit that 4 mile mark and think that is all my body's got. The book mentions that we are Born to Run. Its in our nature to run. So believe it or not..I can do this. I wont stop this time around...i was born to do this...even if it breaks me in the end.
Ps...they talk a lot about trail running in this book. Anyone want to join me this summer in some good old Saturday Morning trail running? I don't want to get kidnapped... :)
2 comments:
I've been wanting to read this book. I've heard it's really good and I feel like it would get me in the running mood again. :) My brother-in-law read it and that's where he got the idea to buy those five-finger Vibram shoes which essentially gives you the feel of going barefoot (since that is what the tribe basically does.) Anyway, I know the book doesn't promote the shoe or anything but I got a pair and absolutely LOVE running in them! Maybe it's all in my head (and that could quite possibly be true) but it does seem easier to run and keep running in them. Anyway, that's awesome you are continuing on your marathon goal! You can TOTALLY do it girl! It really is all (or at least mostly) in the head. Once you convince yourself you can, you'll be surprised how far you can go! :)
Janae,
Where do I get these shoes??
Post a Comment